Because of my experience with food allergies, I have learned that you can substitute one banana per egg in many recipes and still get a nice moist texture. Of course some recipes just don’t work with banana (like brownies or pie), but it works great for banana bread (and pancakes too!). Since Phillip is no longer allergic to eggs, I recently decided to make this recipe with eggs instead of the extra bananas. Surprisingly, it was not as good. So now we almost always use twice the amount of bananas to make a most delicious banana bread. Enjoy!!
- 2 c all purpose flour
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 c margarine or butter
- 1-1/4 c sugar
- 2 eggs (or bananas)
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/3 milk (or soy milk/water)
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 c chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease 9x5x3 inch loaf pan & set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, & salt. Set aside.
- In large bowl, with electric mixer, beat margarine/butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs & vanilla until blended, scraping sides occasionally.
- Stir in banana.
- Alternately add flour mixture with milk until blended, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Evenly spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 1 hour 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes and remove from pan
- Allow to cool completely
- Makes 1 loaf